How Meditation Helps in Anxiety
Many people think meditation is done by only religious people. But the truth is there is no connection between meditation and religions.
What is Meditation?
Meditation is another form of medicine. Where medicine doesn’t work there meditation takes place. From the ancient era, meditation is a kind of ritual among the monks. Even in the 20th century also we can see many people who do meditation just to feel peace.
In one sentence, meditation can connect your soul to the nature or universe. It helps to increase your concentration level, calmness, and positive energy.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a normal emotion for everyone. We often get anxious in many things like- interviews, examinations, some uncertain incidents, etc. But if this anxiety stays with you for a longer time and if it has become a part of your everyday life then you should take it seriously.
If you feel anxious in little things like- going to the office, crossing the road, attending a social party, going to school or college then it is not normal and we called it GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) in medical terms. This should not be neglected by individuals as it may cause some serious problems.
Hormonal changes during the anxiety:-
Our mental health depends on 3 main types of hormones Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin. These 3 hormones are also a type of neurotransmitter that helps to carry information from one nerve cell to another.
Dopamine mainly controls our mental pressure. When we are under pressure then this neurotransmitter carries this information from one cell to another.
Serotonin mainly controls our mood in every situation and also it helps in digestion, sleeping, eating, etc.
And lastly, Oxytocin has a large impact on our body. It controls our reproductive system.
In the case of anxiety, Dopamine secrets in a great amount, and on the other hand Serotonin and Oxytocin literally stop secreting in our body.
Cause of Anxiety:-
Researchers are still not sure about the main cause for anxiety but some factors have a great impact on anxiety.
- Many people get this anxiety disorder genetically. Anxiety is transmitted from ancestors to new offspring and it stays quiet until the perfect environment arrived.
- The environmental factor is also a very important reason. If an individual is spending most of the time in a stressful area or if his/her family has an issue then that individual can be affected by anxiety.
- The medical issue is the most common in the world. In research, it is proven that most of the people who have anxiety are having medical issues like- cancer, COPD, PCOD, etc.
Symptoms for anxiety are not constant. It varies from one person to another person. But all over some symptoms are common. Those are:
- Shortness in breathing
- Insomnia – difficulty in sleeping.
- Loss of appetite.
- Panic attack
- Numbness, sweaty palms, cold hand, and leg.
- No connection between mind and body.
- Even some people have problems with their digestion.
How many people are affected by anxiety worldwide?
According to the 2017s report in the whole world all most 285 million people are affected with anxiety among them 63% are only women and other males. Anxiety becomes a major problem for women. Among all affected people 80% are addicted to alcohol.
World Health Organization (WHO) declared that before the pandemic 29% of pregnant women were affected by anxiety which increased to 72% during the pandemic of coronavirus. All over the world percentage of high-level anxiety is reached 28%.
Cure from Anxiety:-
There are many ways to cure anxiety. But most 5 effective ways without any medication or drugs are:
- Healthy diet
- Spend your time with pets.
How Meditation Helps in anxiety:-
Researchers showed that meditation is the most effective way to get rid of anxiety. Even many chronic cases of anxiety are cured only by meditation.
Some interviews of individuals who practice meditation regularly also said that during meditation sometimes they even find the solutions to the problems.
Meditation also makes a person non-judgmental which is really needed in the present world.
How to do meditation?
Basically, there is no hard and fast rule for how meditation. On day 1 the meditation looks a little difficult as you don’t know how to do it. For that here we mentioned some steps to follow:
- Find a quiet place: At first, you need to find a quiet place. You can also choose a park or your room can also be a good place for meditation.
- Find a good time: First of all, there is no proper time for meditation but most people like to do it in the early morning. Whenever you are free at that time you can do meditation. Minimum 10 minutes should be there in your hand for meditation.
- Sit comfortably: If you think that sitting on a nail board is best for meditation then you are completely wrong. For meditation most important thing is comfort. For starting the meditation you need to sit in a comfortable position. Most of the people choose to sit in ‘Padmasana’.
- Focus on your breath: After sitting in a comfortable position just try to focus on your breath. Take a deep breath. Try to focus inhaling and exhaling process.
- Try to connect your body: Next, try to scan your body. Scan means just try to feel your body. Give your body a relaxed position but don’t move.
- Try to focus on your thinking: Now, most importantly think about a beautiful scene of nature where you feel peace or try to think something that gives you peace. Focus on that more and more at least for 5 minutes.
Myths related to meditation:-
- People usually think during meditation we stopped thinking but the truth is during meditation we control our mind. We give instructions to our minds about what we want to see.
- Many people think meditation is done by only religious people. But the truth is there is no connection between meditation and religions.
- Most people think only calm people are successful to do meditation but the truth is meditation makes people calm.