ASMR in Stress Management
The new trend for stress management is ASMR. Now, the question is what is ASMR? We probably hear about this on YouTube, Google, and other social media platforms. But what actually this is and how it works is still unknown to many people.
What is ASMR?
The full form of ASMR is Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. According to experts, ASMR is a kind of tingling sensation through the head, shoulder, ear, and spine. A specific sound causes this tingling sensation, and we feel relaxed.
According to a study, many people have said that ASMR helps in stress management.
History of ASMR:-
There is no proper history of ASMR. But in 2010, Jennifer Allen first coined the term ASMR. She found it on the internet while reading some articles. So, she felt interested in this term and posted on Facebook & other social media platforms about this term to know about this. Within a few hours, this caught the eye of the people. But actually, ASMR was present since the year 2000 and went viral in 2010.
Example of ASMR:-
Basically, in ASMR videos on YouTube, they trigger many certain sounds. The most 10 effective triggers are:
- Whispering- whispering is no doubt a great trigger for the ASMR. In this type of video, we can see a person is telling a story by whispering so that your concentration of sleep doesn’t get disturbed and you will feel relaxed.
- Physical touch- another one is physical touch. In this type of video, we can see a person is either brushing or cutting his/her hair. Due to this brushing & cutting a relaxing & soothing sound form which gives a tickling sensation to an individual.
- Turning paper- turning paper generally forms a crinkle sound. Many people like the sound of turning pages of a book and it gives a relaxing sensation to the person.
- Light- in this type of ASMR video the person tries to evolve visual stimuli which makes people relaxed. The video maker waves a gentle flashlight in front of the camera.
- Eating- during eating some kind of sounds are produced, for some people, those sounds can be relaxing. Basically during eating some crunchy foods like cookies, chips, or green lettuce this type of crunchy sound evolves which is really very relaxing.
- Massage- even though some people can’t afford a relaxing massage therapy at a 5-star spa but watching someone do massage, them feel relaxed.
- Crinkling/Squishing- this type of sound is produced by crinkling of plastic wrappers, aluminum foil, papers. Some people feel relaxed by hearing this type of sound.
There are 5 main benefits due to this ASMR. The people who listen to these sounds have reported about their better mental health.
Stress management: ASMR sounds and videos really help in stress management. It is much more helpful than other techniques. It provides relaxation to stressed people.
Deals with insomnia: whispering ASMR works on insomnia almost 80%. Many people listen to this type of ASMR all night for sleeping. Instead of sleeping pills right now doctors are even suggesting to patients to listen to the ASMR.
Anger management: another benefit of ASMR is anger management. ASMR or satisfying videos really help in anger control.
Improve moods: in research, it is proven that ASMR can improve the moods of people.
Reduce hypertension: during listening to the ASMR, the heart rate of a person reduces which helps to control hypertension.
How ASMR Works on Stress:-
Researchers of Sheffield’s University of Psychology department conducted one experiment in 2018 to see the effectiveness of ASMR.
In the experiment, they took two groups of people. Researchers provided ASMR videos to one group and control videos to another group. Now, the control video is nothing but a non-ASMR video, or we can say a random YouTube video except ASMR. Participants who were experiencing ASMR videos reported an interesting fact.
Later, researchers studied the data thoroughly. Researchers recorded the heart rate of 2 groups of people. And they found that there was a significant reduction in participants’ heart rate who were watching ASMR videos. The heart rate was reduced by almost 3.14 beats per minute.
Later, Dr. Poerio concluded that their experiment on ASMR video revealed that these types of videos really work on people and these are really helpful for stress management and hypertension as the heart rate decreases during experiencing the ASMR.
Now, while talking about ASMR on stress management probably you people are thinking about what is really stressful is.
The word ‘STRESS’ seems very small but has a huge impact on human life. The Source of most diseases is stress. According to the research, 89% of the total population in India and an average of 86% of the total population in the world are suffering from stress. Sometimes stress leads us to do some action (like – fighting) which is due to some hormones which are secreted from the pituitary gland.
What is Stress?
Scientifically and Psychologically stress is defined as a change of mental and physical state of a person due to change in their routine, work pressure, family problems, relationship issues, problems in education life, and most importantly financial problems.
The definition of stress can’t be described in a few sentences. It is a major mental and social problem all over the world.
Symptoms of stress:-
According to the expert's symptoms of stress depend on what level of stress you have. Based on level, stress is divided into 2 types.
Acute stress- In this case, the affected person feels stress for a short period of time. The symptoms are- Sweaty Hands, Uneasiness in the stomach.
Chronic stress- This type of stress is really very severe and serious for individuals according to the doctors. If an individual holds his/her stress for a longer period of time then this situation may take place. Sometimes overthinking and anxiety on a certain topic may lead to chronic stress. The symptoms are-
- Muscle pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
(Disclaimer- the views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MakeBetterLife.)